The Engineering Candidate Hawsepipe (TECH) Program
TECH Program is a comprehensive training program created by American Maritime Officers (AMO) and Seafarers International Union (SIU). The purpose is to provide selected high school graduates with the opportunity to proceed on a seagoing marine engineering career path and help fill the developing shortage of marine engineers.
Train to become a US Coast Guard Licensed Third Assistant Engineering Officer. Two to Three Year Program with no tuition or room and board fees. Alternates between classroom study and on-the-job training at sea.
There are nine phases.
- Phase 1 to 3: Unlicensed Apprentice Program - Seafarers Harry Lundeberg School of Seamanship in the Paul Hall Center at Piney Point, MD http://www.seafarers.org/jobs/ua.html.
- Starting with Phase 4, the Candidate will alternate between sea time and classroom time http://www.star-center.com/techprogram/techprogram-phases.html.
- Final Phase 9 will be approximately 15 weeks at STAR Center in Dania Beach, Florida. At the completion of Phase 9, the Candidate will be approved to take the USCG 3 A/E Motor Exam.
Benefits of this program include:
- Job of approximately $75K starting salary upon completion.
- See the world.
- Gain valuable hands on experience.
- There is no tuition or room and board.
- All transportation costs involved with travel between ships and class are covered.
- Small weekly stipend for classroom portions.
- Cadet wages during sea duty.
- Individual Medical Benefit Coverage
- Must be 18 years or older
- U.S. Citizen
- No criminal record
- Good Physical and Mental Health
- Pass the medical and dental examinations
- Be able to obtain a TWIC and a Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC)
- Pass a Functional Capacity Evaluation and Coast Guard Evaluation of Fitness
- Pass Math and Reading exams
Application deadline April 14, 2014.
Additioanl and application information can be found here: The Engineering Candidate Hawsepipe (TECH) Overview Powerpoint